From: Richard Weinzierl
To: Apple-Crop
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:45 AM
Subject: Apple-Crop: Pesticide Rates and Tree Row Volume

Hello all.

A little context before the main idea about how new insecticides (and other
pesticides) are tested in tree fruit crops ...

This thread started with a report that Avaunt performed poorly for apple
maggot control when used in a spray program that relied on tree-row volume
calculations.  As a few others have pointed out, this seems to have been a
banner year for apple maggot in many areas, so pest pressure likely helped
to exaggerate anything less than a very high percentage of control.  In
addition, the Midwest Fruit Workers (and I think others) rate Avaunt as only
Fair for apple maggot control, and several other compounds are rated
Excellent or Good.  My point ... any weaknesses, even small ones, in the
effectiveness of tree-row volume modifications were probably multiplied by
pest pressure and a less-than-ideal insecticide for this pest.

That said, perhaps something more important in the overall discussion of
tree-row volume calculations seems to me to center on the nature of data
that support labels and recommendations for newer insecticides.  Over the
last15 years when I have tested insecticides, the trees that I use are
characteristic of modern orchards -- small and well pruned.  I determine the
amount of water required to give thorough coverage, and that's the spray
volume I use (often 100 gallons or less per acre).  I determine the portion
of an acre represented by the trees in each treatment, and I apply the
amount of insecticide on the label (or in the experimental protocol) -- on a
per acre basis.  I have no illusions that work done in Illinois (not exactly
the king of fruit production) determines or dramatically alters national and
international labels, but I think most other entomologists test products in
a similar fashion -- and pretty much always on small, well pruned trees.
One might argue that this means that the per-acre rates on labels for newer
insecticides have already been adjusted for (based on) the reduced tree-row
volume of small trees.  This is entirely different from adjusting the
amounts of Guthion or Imidan or other older compounds whose labels may have
originated with data from larger trees in older production systems.  Those
amounts could logically be reduced with the transition to smaller trees over
the last few decades, but labels for newer materials such as Avaunt, the
neonicotinoids, Delegate, Rimon, Altacor, etc. already reflect the necessary
amounts for effective control on today's smaller trees.  I realize that
there remains a lot of difference in tree sizes in modern production
systems, and adjusting spray volume and pesticide rates over those different
tree sizes makes sense.  Still, as we consider all the expert comments
offered on this site over the last several days, it might be wise to also
take into account the research basis for the per-acre rates expressed on
labels for newer products.

Rick Weinzierl

Richard Weinzierl, Professor and Extension Entomologist
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois
S-334 Turner Hall, 1102 South Goodwin Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
weinz...@uiuc.edu, Ph. 217-244-2126