Notice of Meeting

CCE NE NY Commercial Fruit Program Thinning Meetings for 2010:

Hart's Orchard, Route 22, Ausable (Peru), NY
2:00 p.m. Thursday, May 20

Please join us in Ausable (Peru) NY at our thinning meeting for commercial apple producers. Our meeting will primarily focus on horticulture and thinning issues, but will also touch on disease and / or pest management topics appropriate to the timing. Participating Cornell Researchers will include Steve Hoying, Peter Jentsch, David Rosenberger, Terence Robinson, and perhaps others as their schedules may allow.

We have had quite the Spring to-date: bud break seemingly came eons ago, and with this longer frost window, we have had multiple close and then Tuesday's (May 11) more serious freeze encounter. With this event, we have had quite extensive apple injury at several locations in Washington and Saratoga Counties, NY, and I believe, lesser damage to the north or to the south in Albany County. Low temperatures across the five county region ranged from 18 F to 30 F, with that lowest temperature taking place in Saratoga county, and the 30 coming nearer to Quebec.

On May 12, I visited two locations in Peru NY, one a notably colder location with larger, older McIntosh trees (and others on larger rootstock, M111 perhaps) and a warmer location with younger Cortland trees (and others on what are M9 -I believe). The first location had reported 22F nearby in the same block; the second at 28 - 29.

After looking around a bit, I took a very small sample of clusters - just to get a quick snapshot of what we might be looking at. While much more detail will be needed as growers size-up their orchard situation, here is that preliminary snapshot view of the affect fruitlets (3-5 mm diameter):

McIntosh Cold Location (22 F or above): 54 Dead 0 Healthy       46 Some Injury
Cortland Warmer Location (28 / 29 F or above): 0 Dead 98 Healthy 3 Some Injury

Obviously, there is still quite a crop out there, as more locations are likely to at or closer to the second example, and we know that the trees - which were at a very full bloom by and large - have many more fruitlets than we want in the end.

The results do underscore however, the need to examine blocks carefully in preparation for thinning decisions, as rates are going to need to be adjusted - just the meat of the conversation to be had with Terence Robinson and Steve Hoying at our thinning meeting. Come prepared - start looking closely!

Hope to see you there.
Directions: Hart's Orchard:
Directions: Hart's Orchard. From the Northway, take Exit 35 to the stop at Bear Swamp Road. Turn west following the signs to Peru. In Peru, at traffic light at the junction of Bear Swamp with Route 22 (Kessville Road) turn south (left) and follow 22 for about two miles to its intersection with Davern Rd. Hart's Orchard is just past Davern on the left. The meeting is at the storage.

Thanks to the Hart Family for allowing this meeting to occur at their orchard.
For further information call Kevin Iungerman, CCE Northeastern NY Area Fruit Program

--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell University Cooperative Extension's Northeast NY Commercial Fruit Program

Providing Equal Opportunity Commercial Tree Fruit and Grape Research, Education and Programming with the Support of the Farmers and Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Saratoga, and Washington Counties, and Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Science.

Serving NY's Upper Hudson and Champlain Region - Home to Premium Cold Hardy Orchard and Vineyard Fruit, Including: McIntosh, Honeycrisp, and Sweetango Apples, and Marquette and LaCrescent Grapes!

"Suggestions? Comments? Ideas? Possibilities begin with people sharing ideas and working together."