I bought my first Specware instrument in 2001, and it was a huge improvement
over manual judging and logging of environmental data -

I believe that you and I are using different versions, as my program does not
have the features you describe -

I always felt the 'actual degree days' data was a huge leap forward over the
averaging methods formerly used, surely modern research utilizes this mechanism
- the display on my computer shows both GDD and 'actual' - during this last
event, there was about a 30% difference between the two -

10 years ago I felt that spectrum offered the best value/features of IT for
horticulture - I've not done much investigation recently, but am unaware of
anybody else offering anything comparable - because I had 25 years of apple
spray programs before I purchased  this capability, I feel very much enabled by
the data collecting done by the data logger and the collating/analysis provided
by the computer - it would be difficult to go back -

we are at tight cluster here - it's been many years since we reached the 22 of
April without more development than this - the year has been close to the long
term average to this point - but the record temperatures for april 22 here are
87*, recorded in 1986, and 27*, recorded in 1985 - just as in the GDD, averages
are misleading -

regards -
David -

On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:45 PM, Brian Heatherington wrote:

> David,
>
> I've been using Specware for about 12 years with great success in targeting
> sprays for scab and especially fireblight. I don't recall ever seeing the
> Mills and Wash. models in disagreement, but I admit I usually just go with
> the Mills model. The Cornell model has always signaled infected before Mills
> signals light infection. Without knowing your stage of bud development or how
> "clean" the block was in terms of scab last year, I generally use the model
> as follows:
>
> Set the start date to coincide with your last SI/protectant, stroby, or spray
> of a protectant (i.e. Mancozeb, Captan) at full rate, program in 3 -4 days
> anticipated weather forecast, and target the next spray for a light or medium
> infection under the Mills model. A more conservative date would be "infected"
> under the Cornell model. This is the safest approach, subject to
> interpretation of previous spray coverage, bud stage, susceptibility of
> cultivar to scab, efficacy of SI's at your site, etc. I find it best to reset
> the start date every time I spray, although this approach works best with the
> fireblight models. If I recall correctly the Mills and Wash model differ in
> wet leaf hours somewhere around 47 degrees. The discrepancy you are seeing
> must be due to a number of wet leaf hours hovering around 47. I personally
> don't use the Wash scab model because I have had clean blocks using the above
> approach and the Mills model. I think the program does overpredict scab
> infection,
  but that's better than missing them entirely. Setting the leaf wetness
threshold to 7 instead of 6 might be more realistic.

> For fireblight I do the same, with a target EIP of 100. I did a poor job of
> estimating Strep sprays prior to getting this system. With late blooming
> cultivars in warm weather and heavy dews, EIP can go from 0 (reset with Strep
> spray) to 100 in 2 days, which is why it's easy to miss a fireblight
> infection by guessing at a 3-5 day schedule. Other times, when I would assume
> a spray would be necessary, the program has allowed me to back off, as long
> as 7 days. Temperatures have to be very cool for this to occur, so the
> absence of potential fireblight infection is offset by the probability of
> poor pollination. My target EIP of 100 is very conservative and is subject to
> interpretation, especially of relative humidity during warm days, which is
> not part of these models. The Cougarblight model is useful to determine how
> far past 100 you want to go. With the original Maryblyt you could estimate
> heavy dew as a .1 inch rain, but this system is more accurate as it factors
> in temperatur
 e when dew is present. Once I began to follow this approach, along with
incorporating Assail into petal fall or first cover, shoot blight has become
very rare.