Frank,

Ours is a very ledgy site; shale loam, with emphasis on shale.  We've been
working with a fencing contractor who resorted to pre-drilling each hole with a
rock drill before pounding in posts (metal or wood).  No failed posts, most got
about four feet in.

I'd also be a bit extra concerned about water stress on your site- dwarf root
systems on shallow soils not a good mix.

Good Luck!

Dan Wilson
Hicks Orchard
Gr anville, NY