Hugh, see this for a start:

http://www.extension.org/pages/60856/apple-rootstock-info:-v1#.UnFOtJRga9U

Several growers here in Massachusetts have planted Honeycrisp (and maybe
some other varieties?) on V.1 in recent years. The trees have done very
well, however, they are larger than B.9 and M.9. Planting 3-4 feet apart is
running into some crowding issues. They have been precocious, but I would
plant them 5-6 ft. apart using a vertical axis type training. Trees I
believe have come from Cameron Nursery.

Jon

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Hugh Thomas <hughthoma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In my search for a cold tolerant rootstock, I ran across Vineland 1. Any
> input on this rootstock from anyone?  B9 Honeycrisp trees are hard to find
> so I'm considering V1.

Jon Clements
aka 'Mr Honeycrisp'
UMass Cold Spring Orchard