I bet less than 15% of households have heard of Honeycrisp. When I go to
the store, I make it a point to ask customers in the produce section about
Honeycrisp. Most have never heard of it. If those who have, about 50% say
it is a very good apple or it is their favorite apple. One man told me that
it is the only apple he will buy, and buys it at any price.

At Costco here in Missoula, Mt, the produce stocker told me that he has to
re-stock HC more than any other variety. My view is that the high price of
HC is based on the high value people place on the taste. The market is
telling us that HC is the best tasting and most satisfying apple out there.
In the competitive marketplace, millions are voting daily with their
wallets, and you just can't argue with the outcome.

About two years ago, I got interested in growing apples, even though I
rarely eat one. I read about HC but never tasted one. I went to the store
and bought a couple, and the next day I went back and bought a dozen or so.
After I finished those, I bought a couple of more varieties, brought them
home and took a bite of a Mac, and then spit that into the garbage can, I
tried another variety (can't remember which one) and spit that out. The
difference to me, in my personal view, is that I eat HC or I don't eat
apples.

The problem is, poorly grown HC are just not good tasting apples. They need
a cold winter, heavy thinning to avoid over cropping, calcium sprays every
4-6 days and careful handling.