I think you present an interesting example Claude. I'm not sure how many people
remember the irradiation technology anymore. Ginda presents evidence that it is
still used, but it seems to me that for all its potential, it is used at a very
minimal level. Yet it had such potential for addressing an issue that still
plagues us today; safe food.

It wonderful to have a technology that guarantees safe food, or more productive
food, or reduced use of pesticides, or more money in the pocket for producers,
packagers, processors and purveyors. Now, if we could only get those darn
consumers to eat this stuff!!! What's wrong with them?!! Why don't they just
accept what we have to say?!! It's safe, darn it!!!!

Of course it is. But really, we don't pay for the product in the marketplace.
Consumers do. So convincing each other on this list will be fine and dandy. If
only we could just buy each others product, make our profits and sleep well at
night.

Who will convince consumers that GMOs are safe? Government regulators? Local
growers? University researchers? News anchors? Leading politicians? I will
submit that those most responsible for making the case for the safety of GMOs
is none of the above. It must be done by those who stand to profit most from
it; the corporate entities which are licensing it and introducing it to the
marketplace. Even if all of those other stellar folks I suggested as
alternatives made wonderful arguments in favor of these products, consumers
want to hear from those who are actually using the technology and introducing
the food they are expected to purchase, eat and tell their neighbors about
(What a wonderful time they had with this delightful GMO!).

Now you may be getting the impression I don't like genetic engineering. You'd
be wrong. I think its a fantastic technology with enormous promise. I think
I've watched every GMO fruit and vegetable variety that was introduced to the
market since the Flavor Savor tomato, back in the early 90's. I was stunned
when it wasn't accepted by consumers. It was followed by several other
products. A few have survived but those are generally handled in the market
without consumers knowing that they are buying and eating a genetically
engineered food. Flavor Savor was withdrawn pretty quickly. Why? Consumers
didn't accept it. Its been a couple of decades since, and consumers generally
are still not buying the argument that GMOs are safe. What is wrong with these
people?!!

What is wrong is that, in the marketplace, where people are free to make the
choices they want to make, based on their best understanding of the choices
before them, no one has managed to make the case that this is a better product.
Its really not difficult. Until someone convinces them, they will
remain,.....unconvinced. Who will step

forward and convince these poor people? Don't you think it ought to be the
people who have the most to gain from convincing them? I think that would be
the people who license the technology.

You can try to make the case its safe to your consumers. They'll decide for
themselves. But the bottom line is that, whoever is supposed to make that case
has done a pretty poor job of it. Do you want to take that problem on? Again,
you may not need to. You can get by just fine without Arctic Apple I would
guess. There are lots of other choices out there that would probably be better
for your customers anyway. Besides, its not really being introduced as a fresh
market apple.

Still, its being introduced and the marketplace will reckon with it. It always
does. Will the consumer be better off? I think that's the question that needs
to be answered. Those who license the technology should be up front in
answering that question and win the marketplace with their own resources.

David R. brings up good points about the potential of this safe technology to
address so many pressing issues facing food and agriculture locally and
globally. Its just a crying shame that the brand of GMO has been so mishandled
by those making most of the money from it.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist

University of Illinois

wshoe...@illinois.edu<mailto:wshoe...@illinois.edu>