Is it PYO, retail, or to be packed?  A lot depends on the juice market so
you would want to prevent as much rot as possible.   For the crop insurance
what matters is production to count.  An apple with enough hail damage to
knock it out of U.S. Fcy doesn't count.  If it is thinned off it doesn't
count either.  The crop insurance appraisal work sheet will end up with
bu/acre to count.  So, if there is 10% of the crop that makes U.S. Fcy or
better after a hail event it is the same as a frost event that leaves 10%
of a crop.  This is the effect of trying to remove the damaged fruit.
Technically no appraisal can be done until all thinning is complete
though.  Also an insured is expected to care for the crop so there is no
further damage although if it adjusts to 100% damage now I don't see how it
can get worse.

Art Kelly
Kelly Orchards
Acton, ME

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Jon Clements <jon.cleme...@umass.edu>
wrote:

> Hi everyone, what would you suggest is good management advice for a 100%
> hail damage (per crop insurance) orchard. Minimal fungicide and insecticide
> every few weeks? What about taking the damaged fruit off? Recommended, or
> does it make a difference? If we should take it off, how?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jon
>
> --
> Jon Clements