I e-mailed the contact at getchill.net, asking him for references for the
models if you ran the app on his site. His response below, good reading,
particularly if you are not ready yet to settle for "42." :-)

*****
Hi Jon,

Here are some of the references I used to compute the chill accumulation
for each model. Hope this is what you are looking for.

I personally only use the below 45 model. There isn't a lot of information
about ratings for fruit trees using the dynamic model. Utah models give
wacky results in my warm winter climate (San Diego).

A reference for Utah, Positive Utah, and Dynamic models.

A guide to calculate chill portions using the dynamic model.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/fruittree/How-to_Guides/Dynamic_Model_-_Chill_Accumulation/

Some fruit trees rated in chill portions using the dynamic model.
http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/Weather_Services/chilling_accumulation_models/CropChillReq/

Here is the correct link for Utah, Positive Utah, and Dynamic models. I
accidentally pasted the wrong one above.
http://agis.ucdavis.edu/publications/2009/Sensitivity%20of%20winter%20chill%20models%20for%20fruit%20and%20nut%20trees%20to%20climatic%20changes%20expected%20in%20California's%20Central%20Valley.pdf

Thanks,
Tom

--