> On 9 Mar, 2016, at 21:18, Wesley Eddy <w...@mti-systems.com> wrote:
>
> > Minor issues: Treatment of packets that don't fit into the hashing
> > classification scheme:  The default FQ-CoDel hashing
> > mechanism uses the protocol/addresses/ports 5-tuple, but there will be
> > packets that don't fit this scheme (especially ICMP).

I believe the current implementations treat “ICMP” as part of the protocol
(viz. TCP/UDP), and set the port numbers to zero, then hash as normal.  This
stochastically provides a separate queue without explicit special handling.  I
agree that this is worth mentioning in the spec.

ARP is another protocol worth noting here.  The only addresses reliably
available are at the MAC level.

In fact, these are general problems for any flow-isolating qdisc, which is why
Linux now provides a sophisticated (if slightly obtuse) flow-dissection
mechanism which accounts for these factors and yields a straightforward hash
value.  Perhaps a document dedicated to discussing this problem would be
valuable, if it doesn’t already exist (and if it does, it should be referenced).

 - Jonathan Morton