On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:45:07 -0800 (PST), Jorge Alex Ortega O. wrote:

> --- "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However,
>> I do know that Arachne hasn't been able to use
>> "www.hotmail.com" ever since
>> the site was bought out by Micro$oft about two years
>> ago.  Before Micro$oft
>> messed things up, Hotmail used to work just fine
>> with Arachne and even with
>> text-browsers such as NetTamer and DOS-LYNX.

> Well... Hotmail.com  has been modified to work with
> WINDOWS-ONLY web browsers (requires Security
> certificates, which are available only on MSIE 4.0 or
> later (my copy of MSIE 3.0 doesn't work with it) and
> probabily with later versions of netscape... also
> requires https capabilities (secure http transfers,
> which involves encription and some other 'security'
> trashes...)  instead of hotmail you can use yahoo mail
> (mail.yahoo.com) or crosswinds
> (www.crosswinds.com...:)) which are good and better

Then I wrote:

[swh] Hola Jorge -  Wrong name of URL.  Not crosswinds.com, it is
[swh] crosswinds.net.
[swh] Very interesting website.  I'm checking it out now.  I'll get back later.
[swh] I found out that http://www.crosswinds.com exists also, but it does not
[swh] offer email services.  Crosswinds.com would be a good site to visit if
[swh] you are planning on moving to Detroit.

And now I am back after spending considerable time exploring
http://www.crosswinds.net.  I have this to say:

Very interesting site.  They offer free personal web pages and even free
business web pages.  (To get a free business web-page you have to let them
put one of their banners on your page)  From reading about their free
email, it appears they do not offer web-based mail, but they do offer
IMAP email, in which you will need to configure your own email client to
use the web-site's mail servers.  The kind of email service offered by
crosswinds should not be compared to hotmail because it is not
web-based mail.  Yes, you probably could use it with Arachne, or with any
other program having its own internet email client.

Sam Heywood