I now have no trouble fitting Arachne in low memory with DR-DOS 7.03, but I
think I have less drivers loaded in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

With DR-DOS, as opposed to MS-DOS, EMM386.EXE is used for CPU >= 386, without
HIMEM.SYS.

to Andy: Where did you buy RAM to boost the old computer from 8 MB to 32 MB?
Most dealers sell only newer RAM types that wouldn't fit in old computers.

to Glenn McCorkle:

Is that LTNIDE.SYS a generic driver for IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives, as in

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\LTNIDE.SYS /D:CDROM /DMA
?

Where do you get a driver to use an ATAPI CD-ROM in DOS?