It would appear that on Jul 4, Andre "Osku" Schmidt did say:

> i got lost in your mail... but i do see from your subject that you
> should use `pacman -Syu` and not just `pacman -Su`, as the package
> database wont be updated without `y`...

Sorry for my natural "wordyness" but I do have a hard time with brevity.
If I hadn't been trying to keep that book down to a couple of chapters I'd
have mentioned that I use pacman Sy as a separate command. It's nice that
I could combine them into a single command. But on some systems I still use
apt-get, and my ingrained habit of starting with a separate refresh command
keeps me out of trouble.

> and for blank screen, maybe try kernel option `nomodeset`... and in
> next mail try to be more precise what you did and what happens...

OK I'll try that on my next reboot cycle. (just have to finish a few
E-mail chores first.) I'll let you know what happens...

> as you talk about "pop-ups", did you install xorg ? are you using a DE ?
> which gfx driver you installed for xorg ?...

f...@kokkinizita.net nailed that one... I did think that my overlong text
did specify that the pop-ups came from the monitor, but Like you said, you
got lost in my post. (Sorry)

It would appear that on Jul 4, f...@kokkinizita.net did say:

> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:51:12AM +0200, Andre Osku Schmidt wrote:
> > as you talk about "pop-ups", did you install xorg ? are you using a DE ?
> > which gfx driver you installed for xorg ?...
>
> The popups are those generated by the monitor when it doesn't get a
> valid signal. Having a Sony as well they sound familiar to me.

> Things seem to go wrong well before Xorg gets involved. The
> nomodeset option willl probably provide a working system in
> RL 3. Once that is working we can have a closer look.

ABSOLUTELY. my next task _was_ supposed to be to open a lynx session on one
console open to the wiki to remind myself HOW to use another console to
get x working on an arch install... (This is only my second arch install
ever. The first, on my laptop has worked out fairly well for me.) But I
did have X running on that before they stopped passing control of the
video back and forth between the kernel and the xserver. (Did I
understand correctly that such control now resides only in the kernel
whether x is up or not?)

But in any case even when I do get X working I won't allow ANY display
manager to control my boot/login process. If they take away startx I'll
likely give up X before I'll use GDM, KDM, Entrance (etc...) Any graphical
login prompt always makes me so uncomfortable that I forget why I was
booting the durned computer in the first place. Heck I even insist on a
text based grub menu for similar reasons. When I'm ready to put up with a
GUI, I use startx, and not until...

Still Like I told "Osku", I'll try that nomodeset kernel option and post
the results in this thread.

Thanks for the help guys.