> >> Did you read this before posting. It's obvious that reviewing the config
> >> files and getting the source and finding the bug in C is much easier of
> >> course and can be fixed immediately by anyone without another OS or
> >> machine.
> >
> > Did you read this before posting. It's obvious that when a service is
> > failing, everybody first think it's because of the init process and try
> > to fix the bug in the /sbin/init C sources.
>
> Its a common fallacy some seem to hold that the only way to
> fix/debug/customize systemd is to edit the sources. Obviously those
> who believe so have no idea what .service files are.

I never said that, there is 800K of systemd to cause havoc that is
harder to test because it doesn't follow UNIX principles.

You would have to incorporate all code init can run in that. I like
some of systemd and an init consensus but it should have been developed
as many tools. Maybe systemds features were required to make this
happen and a init system with standardised scripts will finally come
along and fix this problem that has plagued Linux for so long.
Unfortunately it just might mean many will move back to Gentoo/Slackware
or another BSD like OS.

One of the founding principles of UNIX is that small tools that do
a single job well allow complete flexibility whereas large tools do
what the devs foresee very well but will likely hinder users or other
uses. That is a part of why I prefer sudo and RBAC/Selinux to polkit.
Maybe systemd doesn't hinder in this way but I'm sure it reduces re-use
of it's tools for other purposes and affects security that this
methodology has always brought.

I can't find the book referencing many highly regarded peers right now
to word it perfectly but Ironically this principle has been seen to
reduce UNIX use by the masses due to the potential for variation but
also means it has had technologies that never die out and especially
useful for the slightly skilled users. I didn't think Arch was trying
to be a Redhat for the masses.

 Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.