Quoting Emil Velikov via arch-projects (2017-08-08 18:45:20)
> Hello Arch developers,
>
> After an upstream issue reported by Laurent Carlier (aka lordheavy)
> Istarted wondering why builds fail on his end and not my (Arch)
> machine.
> The key difference seems to be that he's using devtools, whereas I do not.
>
> After a further chat, I got the impression that devtools installs
> runtime dependencies before/alongside(?) as the PKGBUILD build/install
> target is issued.
>
> This doesn't sound quite right to me. Shouldn't it be done, only on
> runtime scenarios - say the check target?
>
> Of course, I could be missing something so if anyone has some pointers
> that will be appreciated.

This is slightly confusingly written, but all packages listed in the
depends and the makedepends arrays will always be installed before
building a package.  makedepends should only list packages that are only
required when building, not all packages required when building

--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg