Hi all,

I just wanted to get back at what Dennis said at the beginning of this thread.
Im quite curious how you will get people to agree on (un)certainty. If feels
like a very natural idea to talk and think about, but I haven't really seen it
function properly in practice.

We once did an experiment where we had 10 people who were used to entering data
in our archaeological inventory system enter the same site. We paired the
archaeologists: one more more experienced data entry person (a few years
experience) and one newbie (a few months), so they would be forced to really
think things through and discuss. In our database we have a field for certain
the data entry person is about the location of the site, ie. about the polygon
they might have drawn on a map. This field only allowed 5 choices, ranging from
1 (I'm sure it's exactly where it needs to be) to 5 (I have no idea whatsoever
where the site is). We had a very detailed manual with examples of all these
cases, what to use when, ...
Final result of our experiment: every group had entered the location with a
different level of certainty. So, based on the exact same information they had
all drawn totally different conclusions. And this was about something as simple
as the location of the site.

So, I'm very curious about how you manage to prevent stuff like this from
happening.

The other thing I wonder about: how does certainty affect searching? Should a
search for 'churches' only return sites that have a certain "certainty"
attached to the interpretation? Are you working with sliding scale of certainty
(ie. we are 75% percent certain about this statement) or a binary one (we're
certain or uncertain)?

Cheers,
Koen