Hi Josh, I spent some time getting familiar with Google Compute Engine, and
have finally gotten Arches-HIP installed properly on an instance.  My guess
is that your problems stemmed from some installation issues with your
dependencies. When I ran the ubuntu_trusty_setup.sh (which in the
documentation is linked on bitbucket, but also exists here on github
<https://github.com/archesproject/arches/blob/stable/3.x/arches/install/ubuntu_trusty_setup.sh>)

I found that the

./configure
make

lines that occur in the geos and postgis sections (lines 38 & 39 and 46 &
47) each need to be preceded by sudo, which was never the case on AWS
ubuntu installations, as far as I could tell. Also, I found that the way I
had the authentication set up, my default username, which did have sudo
privileges, did not have a password (I'd used an SSH key for login
credentials). Running any of the sudo -u postgres... commands (lines 56-66)
from my default account asked for that non-existent password, so I had to
switch to the root user with

sudo su -

before being able to run all of those lines correctly.

After that, I was able to pip install virtualenv==1.11.4 and follow the
rest of the documentation without more trouble.

Hope that helps you, or anyone exploring Google Compute Engine in the
future...

Adam