Thanks Adam

My issue was firstly that I didnt realize there was that convenient
dependency script (ubuntu_trusty_setup.sh) linked on the plain Arches
documentation which is not linked from the Arches-HIP documentation. I will
be sure in the future to read all the docs! But yes, I somehow was
installing the wrong version of something, Im not sure what, but running
that dependency script in addition to your suggested corrections regarding
where the sudos should go did the trick

Josh