Hi David and Alexei, the documentation is correct. As you can see here
<https://github.com/archesproject/arches/wiki/Installing-Elasticsearch>,
you do not use source (which will crash the terminal like you found) nor ./
(which is actually just the same as David's second example, as you can see
with this explanation of that command shortcut: https://askubuntu.
com/questions/250823/what-does-mean).

David, it looks like you do not have enough memory available to run
Elasticsearch. As noted the docs linked above, elasticsearch requires 2gb,
and the elasticsearch documentation recommends that no more than half of
your available memory be dedicated to that process. (I thought that this
system requirements documentation
<https://arches4.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation/#system-requirements>,
was on the wiki, but apparently it isn't, so I'll add it now.)

Also (as noted in the documentation) you can, technically, run ES with only
1gb of memory by explicitly adding java memory options to the startup
command. This works, though I have run into problems when loading large
datasets, and would only recommend doing it for very basic usage and if you
are ready to keep memory errors in mind when you have to troubleshoot any
other issues down the road.

Adam