Hi Amelia/Erastus, I just tested running through the steps in the
documentation, and I did not come across this error. However, there are
some more steps that should occur between running the pip install command
and trying to run the dev server. Could you begin again with step 2 of the
installation guide
http://arches.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation/#installation (making a
new virtual environment)? It may be helpful to upgrade pip before
installing Arches, so between steps 3 and 4 please run python -m pip install
--upgrade pip.

You should be able to go all the way through to the end of the installation
section, and pay special attention to steps 5-7.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Adam