Thanks, Ben: your comment helped me make some progress (to another error ;-)

The problem is that the Readme.md in the docker directory of the Github
archesproject/arches repo (file last revised 17 months ago!) is inaccurate
or vague when it says "Create a new folder for your custom Arches code"
without specifying where. I created one alongside my cloned arches repo,
with the result that the path to /docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/init.sql did
not exist, so Docker created directories instead.

Having located the arches/install/init-unix.sql file referred to in the db
service, I worked out that it's easiest to run docker-compose in the cloned
arches directory itself, so I edited the docker-compose.yml file, and that
file and the resulting output from docker-compose is in
https://gist.github.com/daosborne/bc83812e33d9396d679af54f31565895 (with
the lines from couchdb and elasticsearch edited out from the docker-compose
log as not relevant).

It gets further but has some problems (partly because I want the default
graphs and concepts installed):

   1. error setting up db (traceback starting line 133)
   2. database tables graphs, ontologies, concepts, d_value_types don't
   exist (lines 222--648)
   3. db connection error during migrations (line 734)
   4. db column nodes.fieldname doesn't exist (lines 1123, 1185)

I had also tried setting a project name, as suggested in the Readme but
abandoned that because the directory was missing from /web_root (and
produces a spurious error message about the project name clashing with a
Python module).

I hoped that using Docker would be a quick and easy way of getting a new
Arches installation running but it seems it still has some rough edges. As
I need to get some development done to make some slides for a conference
paper, I think I'll go back to the tried and tested method of setting up a
Vagrant VM!

Cheers
David