Hi Ben

Thanks, that was it: starting the elasticsearch and db containers first was
the solution.

My docker-compose file asked for the default resource models and concepts.
Although the concepts loaded ok, the branches and models didn't, with a
missing ontology, although I can't see how to enable whatever's missing:

arches           | Running: python manage.py packages -o import_graphs
arches           | operation: import_graphs
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Information
Resource Copyright.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Event Phase
Type.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Description.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Place 1.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Resource Type
Classification.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Publication
Event.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/External
Identifier.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Heritage
Resource Group Phase Type.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Appellation.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Modification
Event.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Heritage
Resource Phase Type.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Component.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Settings
System Defaults.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Evaluation.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Activity
Phase.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Place 3.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Resource
Update Event.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Keyword.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Beginning of
Existence.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Settings
Map.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Actor
Phase.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Right.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Title.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Information
Carrier.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Information
Resource Creation Event.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Settings
Saved Searches.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Settings Time
Search.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Language.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/End of
Existence.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Settings
Basic Search.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Existence.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Temporal
Coverage.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Place 2.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Measurement.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Name.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/branches/Condition
Assessment.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Heritage Resource
Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Activity Resource
Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Heritage Resource Group
Resource Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Historical Event Resource
Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           | /web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Actor
Resource Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.
arches           |
/web_root/arches/arches/db/graphs/resource_models/Information Resource
Model.json
arches           | Ontology matching query does not exist.

David

On Thursday, 5 March 2020 23:25:52 UTC, Ben O'Steen wrote:

> [...]
> takes so long, run this and watch to make sure there are no connection
> errors.
>

> Ben
>
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2020, 07:44 David Osborne, <daosborne....@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ben: your comment helped me make some progress (to another error
>> ;-)
>>
>> The problem is that the Readme.md in the docker directory of the Github
>> archesproject/arches repo (file last revised 17 months ago!) is inaccurate
>> or vague when it says "Create a new folder for your custom Arches code"
>> without specifying where. I created one alongside my cloned arches repo,
>> with the result that the path to /docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/init.sql did
>> not exist, so Docker created directories instead.
>>
>> Having located the arches/install/init-unix.sql file referred to in the
>> db service, I worked out that it's easiest to run docker-compose in the
>> cloned arches directory itself, so I edited the docker-compose.yml file,
>> and that file and the resulting output from docker-compose is in
>> https://gist.github.com/daosborne/bc83812e33d9396d679af54f31565895 (with
>> the lines from couchdb and elasticsearch edited out from the docker-compose
>> log as not relevant).
>>
>> It gets further but has some problems (partly because I want the default
>> graphs and concepts installed):
>>
>>    1. error setting up db (traceback starting line 133)
>>    2. database tables graphs, ontologies, concepts, d_value_types don't
>>    exist (lines 222--648)
>>    3. db connection error during migrations (line 734)
>>    4. db column nodes.fieldname doesn't exist (lines 1123, 1185)
>>
>> I had also tried setting a project name, as suggested in the Readme but
>> abandoned that because the directory was missing from /web_root (and
>> produces a spurious error message about the project name clashing with a
>> Python module).
>>
>> I hoped that using Docker would be a quick and easy way of getting a new
>> Arches installation running but it seems it still has some rough edges. As
>> I need to get some development done to make some slides for a conference
>> paper, I think I'll go back to the tried and tested method of setting up a
>> Vagrant VM!
>>
>> Cheers
>> David
>>
>> On Wednesday, 4 March 2020 00:33:38 UTC, Ben O'Steen wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think the key error is on line 63 of the gist you posted. For some
>>> reason, it is interpreting file bind mount as a directory and not as a
>>> file. If I run the default docker compose file here, and start up the db
>>> container, this is the log output I get:
>>>
>>> $  docker logs db
>>> Add rule to pg_hba: 0.0.0.0/0
>>> Add rule to pg_hba: replication replicator
>>> Setup master database
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.848 UTC [25] LOG:  starting PostgreSQL 12.1 (Debian
>>> 12.1-1.pgdg100+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6)
>>> 8.3.0, 64-bit
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.849 UTC [25] LOG:  listening on IPv4 address
>>> "127.0.0.1", port 5432
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.855 UTC [25] LOG:  listening on Unix socket
>>> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.928 UTC [36] LOG:  database system was shut down at
>>> 2019-12-03 16:35:30 UTC
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.931 UTC [37] postgres@postgres FATAL:  the database
>>> system is starting up
>>> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  the database system is
>>> starting up
>>> 2020-03-04 00:28:12.948 UTC [25] LOG:  database system is ready to
>>> accept connections
>>>                               List of databases
>>>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding | Collate |  Ctype  |   Access
>>> privileges
>>>
>>> -----------+----------+----------+---------+---------+-----------------------
>>>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 |
>>>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>>>    +
>>>            |          |          |         |         |
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>>>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>>>    +
>>>            |          |          |         |         |
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>>> (3 rows)
>>>
>>> postgres ready
>>> Setup postgres User:Password
>>> Creating superuser postgres
>>> ALTER ROLE
>>> Creating replication user replicator
>>> CREATE ROLE
>>> postgres db already exists
>>>                               List of databases
>>>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding | Collate |  Ctype  |   Access
>>> privileges
>>>
>>> -----------+----------+----------+---------+---------+-----------------------
>>>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 |
>>>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>>>    +
>>>            |          |          |         |         |
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>>>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | C.UTF-8 | C.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
>>>    +
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres
>>> (3 rows)
>>>
>>> /docker-entrypoint.sh: running /docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/init.sql
>>> CREATE DATABASE
>>> UPDATE 1
>>> You are now connected to database "template_postgis" as user "postgres".
>>> CREATE EXTENSION
>>> GRANT
>>> GRANT