Hi Arch,

I’m in the process of building installers for the Capture Tool (part of the
gpii-app code repo), and wanted to run an overview of issues with our current
windows installers (based on WiX [1]).  Everything runs pretty slow in my 2gig
RAM Windows virtual machine, so it wasn’t until the last in person meeting we
had, that I realized we were having larger than minor issues with it.

In a Nutshell it sounds like the problems are:
        1) It often hangs on uninstall
        2) It takes a long time to run in both directions (install and
uninstall)
        3) The size of the installer is large, and the resulting install
directories are quite large (about a gig and a half?)

Am I missing anything?  Our installer isn’t anymore complicated than a standard
windows “Click Next 4 times” Installer, so I imagine if the above were resolved
the installer itself would become a non-issue?

I know stegru has already fixed several issues with 1 (though they may not be
in a public build yet).  As far as 2 and 3, I think some of them are due to us
being on a very old version of Electron [2] and perhaps needing to dedupe some
of the node_modules that are being included multiple times. I know Christopher
has already done the initial research/legwork to get that upgrade rolling.

Moving forward with doing case studies and beta testing completely remotely,
I’m hopeful that the above work resolves at least an initial brunt of these
issues, and then any remaining ones can be triaged separately, such that
installing/uninstalling in a teamviewer or windows helpdesk thing doesn’t take
so long.

Cheers,
Steve

[1] https://wixtoolset.org/ <https://wixtoolset.org/>
[2] Upgrading which I would suspect automagically fix some of the QSS
performance issues