Hi Manjula,

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Manjula Rathnayake <manju...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi Janaka,
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Janaka Ranabahu <jan...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Manjula,
>>
>> While I completely agree that this feature is something different from
>> what I've stated, I'm trying to understand the usability of this feature.
>> From what I've gathered so far from this discussion is that, we do not
>> allow code modifications, versions and build for these kinds of
>> applications. So basically this feature is only there to deploy, test and
>> govern a pre-built artifact. But then, we loose many powerful development
>> features that are provided by AppFactory.
>>
>> With this feature, the source code management, versioning and build(which
>> are three important features of AF) is happening out of AppFactory and they
>> have to manage them separately. But instead, what we need to do is to
>> promote AppFactory for developers so that developers would be attracted to
>> it. IMO, having a feature to create applications from an existing repo is
>> more important in that context.
>>
> I understand your point, but uploading a war file(or any deployable
> artifact) is the feature we implement here. There might be situations where
> users do not need to share their source code into our source repository.
> They just need to maintain binary artifacts within appfactory. But the
> feature you mentioned is a valid feature we can provide and can be
> implemented separately.

Understood.

I have few more points to clarify.

Now when a user creates such application project do we allow him to upload
the same binary to the same version of that application. Say that the user
found a bug in the uploaded application. What is the procedure of fixing
the bug and testing it using AF. Does he need to create a new version to
upload the new artifact or can he simply replace the existing artifact in
current version?

How can this help to enforce the governance best practices of an
application? Eg:- when an application version in promoted to the production
environment, how do we guarantee that there will be no commits and builds
on that version? Even though that we can stop deployment from AF side,
there is no guarantee that the original source is in the same state.

Do we rename the binary to AppFactory default format when creating these
types of applications? Otherwise default applications in AF will have one
format(applicaiton_key-version) where this would have something else. Also
If not, how does features like log download(which needs to find the
application name to download logs) will work?

Do we allow developers to be invited into these types of applications? If
so what are the functionality available to them? Is it only deployment and
developer testing or do we allow a developer to upload a new binary/new
version of the artifact?

Thanks,
Janaka

--