Hi,

We had an initial team discussion on $subject for WSO2 PPaaS 4.1.0 M1 and
this is how we thought we can model a Carbon cluster with Stratos Composite
Application Model (CAM):

*How it works:*

   - There would be a Stratos application defined for each Carbon server.
   - The startup dependencies would ask Stratos to start individual
   elements in the application tree in the given order.
   - Each cartridge would create a separate Stratos cluster (this is
   different from service cluster) and manage its minimum and maximum number
   of instances.
   - Scaling would happen according to Stratos clusters.
   - Each Stratos cluster would have a dedicated cluster host name and load
   balancer will be configured to use one cluster hostname for the worker
   cartridge group and another for the management cartridge group.
   - Clustering configuration (cluster discovery) will be automated by
   Stratos Cartridge Agent using an extension/plugin by using Metadata API
   similar to an approach in [1]. We will send a separate mail on this with
   details.

*Features of This Model:*

   - WKA member management is handled by CAM
   - No need to implement logic in Stratos to handle it (in PPaaS 4.0.0 we
   had to customize Stratos to support this since CAM was not there).
   - Control the number of Management and Worker nodes needed with
   corresponding WKA and None WKA nodes using the Application definition.​

[1] https://coreos.com/docs/cluster-management/setup/cluster-discovery/

Thanks

--
*Imesh Gunaratne*