Even though we should avoid axis2, I think axiom is fine to be used. Since
XML and SOAP  are matured technologies, we do not need frequent releases. I
do not see a reason why we cannot maintain axiom upto date with java 8, 9
 and continue to use it since axiom is one of the most comprehensive
libraries when it comes to processing SOAP.

Regards
Nandika