On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Sanjeewa Malalgoda <sanje...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> When we do container based deployment standard approach we discussed so
> far was,
>
>    - At the first request check the tenant and service from URL and do
>    lookup for running instances.
>    - If matching instance available route traffic to that.
>    - Else spawn new instance using template(or image).  When we spawn
>    this new instance we need to let it know what is the current tenant and
>    data sources, configurations it should use.
>    - Then route requests to new node.
>    - After some idle time this instance may terminate.
>
> ​If we were to do this with a container cluster manager, I think we would
need to implement a custom scheduler (an entity similar to HPA in K8S) to
handle the orchestration process properly. Otherwise it would be difficult
to use the built-in orchestration features such as auto-healing and
autoscaling with this feature.

By saying that this might be a feature which should be implemented at the
container cluster manager.

*Suggestion*
> If we maintain hot pool(started and ready to serve requests) of servers
> for each server type(API Gateway, Identity Server etc) then we can cutoff
> server startup time + IaaS level spawn time from above process. Then when
> requests comes to wso2.com tenants API Gateway we can pick instance from
> gateway instance pool and set wso2.com tenant context and data source
> using service call(assuming setting context and configurations is much
> faster).

​I think with this approach tenant isolation will become a problem. It
would be ideal to use tenancy features at the container cluster manager
level. For an example namespaces in K8S.

Thanks

--
*Imesh Gunaratne*
Software Architect