On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Kishanthan Thangarajah <kishant...@wso2.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Nuwan Dias <nuw...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Do we really need multi-profile support (at an osgi level) on C5? What if
>> we have separate dedicated runtimes per profile? Which means that we have a
>> gateway runtime, store runtime, etc. within the same distribution? Each
>> will run on its own port, maybe using offsets by default (no need to worry
>> about that if each profile is a container).
>>

> This is the similar thing we are trying propose. The "profiles" concept is
> C5 is actually runtime we are talking about. It is not only about osgi
> bundles, but everything a runtime needs to start on its own.
>
> For example, api-manager store runtime needs set of bundles, configuration
> files and store UI component written using uuf/jaggery. The tool will
> create this runtime by reading the descriptor file and launch the instance
> as a separate JVM.

But why would we need a tool to do that? What if we build the product
itself in that manner. Ex: Store will have all its bundles, config files,
etc in a single directory. And it'll have its own startup script (.sh).
Same will be for the publisher and other runtimes. It will result in a
certain amount of duplicate jars in those directories (carbon kernel), but
that isn't much of a problem isn't it? Do you see any other problems in
doing that?