Hi Nuwan,

Can the same API gateway handle both self-contained and opaque tokens?

How does the API consumption work? Does the application need to invoke both
the KM and gateway endpoints to refresh/revoke and invoke the APIs?

Thank you.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 1:21 PM Asela Pathberiya <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:37 PM Nuwan Dias <nuw...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the introduction of the Microgateway self-contained access tokens
>> were supported in the API Manager since version 2.5. Self-contained access
>> tokens however were only supported in the Microgateway so far. The regular
>> gateway was unable to process and validate a self-contained access token.
>> With API Manager 3.0 we are bringing this support to the regular gateway as
>> well. With this we hope to make self-contained tokens the default token
>> type of applications. Opaque tokens will still be supported as before.
>> There are several benefits of using self-contained access tokens. These are,
>>
>> 1) The gateway no longer connects to the Key Manager when processing API
>> requests. This makes the deployment simpler and reduces configuration
>> points a bit.
>> 2) We no longer have to scale the Key Manager when we need the Gateway to
>> be scaled. This bring a significant reduction to the cost of using the
>> product in larger deployments.
>> 3) The gateway becomes regionally resilient. A token issued from one
>> region can be validated by a gateway in another region even if the data is
>> not synced.
>> 4) Back-end JWTs will be included in as part of the access token itself
>> (self-contained). This eliminates the need of creating back-end JWTs while
>> the API request is being processed. Which in turn makes APIs calls much
>> faster.
>>
>> One pending items that's left to handle is the revocation of
>> self-contained access tokens. Since the gateway does not connect to the Key
>> Manager for validating self-contained tokens, the gateway will not know
>> when a particular token has been revoked. Using shorter expiry times for
>> access token addresses this solution to a certain extent. We hope to
>> implement the same solution we implemented for the Microgateway to address
>> this. The Key Manager will be notifying the gateway cluster through a
>> broker when a token has been revoked. And the gateway will no longer be
>> treating the particular token as valid upon receiving the notification.
>>
>> Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this.
>>

> So we are making it as default to increase the usage of it ?
>
> Is this would be same for developer token in store (application tokens)?
> What are the default user details which are adding to self-contains access
> token ?
>
> Thanks,
> Asela.
>

>> Thanks,
>> NuwanD.
>> --
>> *Nuwan Dias* | Director | WSO2 Inc.
>> (m) +94 777 775 729 | (e) nuw...@wso2.com
>> [image: Signature.jpg]

> Thanks & Regards,
> Asela
>
> Mobile : +94 777 625 933
>
> http://soasecurity.org/
> http://xacmlinfo.org/

*Manjula Rathnayaka* | Senior Technical Lead | WSO2 Inc.
(m) +94 77 743 1987 | (w) +94 11 214 5345 | (e) manju...@wso2.com
GET INTEGRATION AGILE
Integration Agility for Digitally Driven Business