On 08/01/17 12:58, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<l...@lkcl.net> wrote:

  i'm not letting you off the hook here after you said that EOMA68's
interfaces are "crippled", peter.
ok, so can you see what i did, peter?  you laid down a challenge (to
do better)... and after three days, you've not responded.  you
*provisionally* described an alternative standard... but did not
follow through.

  *that's* what makes the difference, here.  it's *not enough* to say
"the standard you came up with is rubbish", you have to *follow
through*, and if you can't follow through then it's.... you know what
i'm trying to say?
The compromises you made are a result of your goals. You wanted a standard that
could be implemented with virtually any cheap SoC. That basically forced you
into the decisions to use USB and parallel RGB.

Unfortunately USB has a reputation for poor performance and reliability. Some
of this is possibly the fault of the USB standards themselves, some is a result
of crappy implementations.

Intel has different goals, their job is to make something that takes best
advantage of their own current and future products. EOMA68 does not do that, it
drags it down to the lowest common denominator. As such I believe that by
adopting EOMA68 Intel would be crippling their product. I gave some examples of
interfaces I think Intel should include that were unsuitable for EOMA68.

I don't know exactly what Interfaces it would be best for Intel to include,
that would require knowing both full details of the chips they plan to use in
their current cards as well as their future roadmaps (if they have something on
their SoCs today but plan to drop it in the future it would be stupid for them
to put it on their compute cards).