Not my class! I remember laboring for a while under the misimpression that hedonic
methods were used for autos (they aren't), but when you took Econ 1 from me I
certainly never said the CPI wasn't adjusted for quality.

And yes, you can go the BLS web links that I had in my original post and read the
technical documentation. This is, and has been for a long time, a major issue that
people spend a lot of time thinking about.

I think you are remembering your undergraduate education incorrectly (it has been a
while Bryan). Some goods don't get any quality adjustment. It is possible that that is
what you are remembering. There are cases where there are quality changes and no
adjustment, but every index is, and always has been (as far as I know), adjusted to
some extent to allow for quality changes. - - Bill

William T. Dickens
The Brookings Institution
1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 797-6113
FAX:     (202) 797-6181
E-MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AOL IM: wtdickens

>>> Bryan Caplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/04/03 02:43PM >>>
Really?  Every undergraduate class I can remember listed the failure to
adjust for quality as one of the main problems with the CPI.  And I
don't think they just said it was "inadequate."

--
                         Prof. Bryan Caplan
        Department of Economics      George Mason University

         "Infancy conforms to nobody: all conform to it, so that
          one babe commonly makes four or five out of the adults
          who prattle and play to it."

                      --Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance"