I guess the basic objection is that people will not talk about their
sexual behavior honestly. The usual assumption is that men will
exaggerate and women will understate their experiences. You can read
Edward Laumann's book about how the surveys are conducted. They spent a
lot of time designing the questionnaires and training the interviewers.
It's too much to summarize and explain here. I am not sure that I am
convinced entirely, but I think they reduced the bias significantly. The
citation is:

The Social Organization of Sexuality: Sexual Practices in the United
States. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994. (With John H. Gagnon,
Robert T. Michael and Stuart Michaels.)

His recent work on China is really interesting for economists in that as
part of the survey they were able to get urine samples from most of the
participants. They found exceptionally low rates of STDs everywhere in
the population, except for businessmen, who had very high rates. It seem
that these men frequent brothels during their travels and engage in
unprotected sex. Laumann argues that this is very dangerous because the
economic elite of China has a sexual Achilles's heel, and that it is only
a matter of time before HIV becomes prevalent in this group.

DVM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, john hull wrote:

> "I would. It happens all the time."
>
> So what are the methodologies of the auto-erotic
> reporting studies and how are they flawed?

Dimitriy V. Masterov

Work:
Center for Social Program Evaluation
1155 East 60th St. Room 038