I think in order to see what is going on, we need to take a more relaxed
view of what constitutes military technology and the true costs of war.

1) The true costs of war don't just involve kill ratios.  Following
Clauswitz' maxim that war is a continuation of politics by other means,
conquering your enemy means not just killing your opponent but imposing your
will upon a populace.  Using Stealth bombers and other technological advance
means we can efficiently kill our enemies, but using these weapons is an
enormously costly endeavor.  It costs money, and more importantly it doesn't
necessarily impose a workable political solution.

For example, we could certainly eliminate a good chunk of the threat of
terrorism by turning the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, etc) into a
radioactive parking lot, but this would be enormously costly in terms of the
goodwill we enjoy around the world (and the simple fact we'd be killing many
millions of innocent people).

2) Flowing from this point, other countries (notably Arab countries- this
link is as good as any for making the point:
http://www.usni.org/Proceedings/Articles03/prolayton03.htm#potential)
understand this fact.  Weaker countries know they can't wage a hot war
against a vastly stronger opponent.  The strategy of terrorism is, in this
regard, a rational response to national strength.  Not only are the weak not
going to be re-colonized by the strong, they wage war upon the strong by
means of saboteurs and spies.  In doing so, they maintain enough political
distance between their nation and the terrorist activity that the strong
nations do not feel they can morally bring their full might to bear on the
governments.  Thus shielded from the weapons of the strong nations, they
wage a war of attrition to impose their will on the strong.