Funny thing, when driving around New Orleans, I never get the feeling that I am
on the set of Leave it to Beaver. Then again, of all the 1950s shows, maybe its
the Honeymooners that comes closest to portraying a median income family from
the period.

In a message dated 9/6/05 8:50:04 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm not sure the premise is entirely correct.  About 30% of the
> (former?) population of New Orleans is below the federal poverty line,
> yet 80-90%

The federal poverty line is just a politically-determined level at one time
useful to liberal Democrats for beating middle-income Americans into a state of
guilt in which the liberal Democrats could more easily consfiscate more of
their income and give it to people who vote for liberal Democrats.   The
American poverty line today is someone around the (real) median income of
Americans
in 1950.