Daljit Dhadwal wrote:
>Before the Communist revolution in Russia, around every 10 years(I think)
>land was equally divided up and distributed to the peasents. Also, under
>some religions debts have to be foregiven every so often. What's the
>rationale for this type of periodic redistribution?

An obvious candidate is social insurance.  And the obvious question about
that is how well this mechanism compares to other social insurance
mechanisms.  This one at least is simple and clear, and difficult to
corrupt.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323