Bryan Caplan  wrote:
> > An obvious candidate is social insurance.  And the obvious question about
> > that is how well this mechanism compares to other social insurance
> > mechanisms.  This one at least is simple and clear, and difficult to
> > corrupt.
>
>... since the redistribution happens only every ten years, a person
>would need a bunch of bad personal shocks year after year to fall well
>below average land holdings.  People who gained a lot of land were
>probably just low in ability and effort, not unlucky.

I agree that the ten year period seems short for this purpose.
I think the ancient Jewish tradition of "Julilee" redistributed every
50 years, which makes more sense.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323