Chris Auld wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Bryan Caplan wrote:
>
> > more information.  Better if Bill summarizes, but on the whole I'd say
> > he concluded that M/H's SES moderately understates the importance of
> > SES, but intelligence still matters a great deal.
>
> Don't get me wrong: I'm not claiming that intelligence doesn't matter.
> What I'm claiming is that disentangling the marginal effect of
> intelligence from other factors that influence various outcomes is
> not "pretty easy."  In particular, the approach taken by M/H is so
> statistically inept that it's impossible to discern from their work
> whether intelligence matters directly, and if it does, by how much.

Unfortunately Bill is too busy to weigh in here.  I still haven't
untangled your simulation, but I'm skeptical that measurement error
could radically effect the results I showed (or M/H's much more detailed
results).  If you're right on this, then I'd better start greeting
almost all results with greater skepticism - in the real world, what is
better measured than IQ and education?
--
            Prof. Bryan Caplan               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

  "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different
   reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike
   the program we are receiving.  Similarly, we may be dissatisfied
   with ourselves for two quite different reasons: because our body
   does not work (bodily illness), or because we dislike our
   conduct (mental illness)."
                   --Thomas Szasz, *The Untamed Tongue*