Title: Re: Growth, Wealth, and Race
D. Friedman:

I believe you're missing the point of the below response.  No comment was made that infers the previous author is demonizing eugentics.  No normative statement is made in my opinion, merely the curious fact (once again brought to the academic world's attention by David Levy and Sandra Peart) that at the origns of the study of economics lay the phrase "dismal science" coined by Carlyle in reference to the belief that economics assumed that people were basically all the same, and thus entitled to liberty.

I recognized the reference. Levy argued that part of what Carlyle et. al. were unhappy with was the link between economics and the abolitionist movement.

The statemnt below is in reference to the aforementioned, not a normative statement on the morality of eugenics.  It serves well in response to the previous email pertaining to the question of race.
Perhaps I have missed the point?

The original statement said:
>I think it is therefore surprising to see economists abandoning their
>original analytical framework.

Which implied that Smith's belief that variations in adult humans were almost entirely due to environment was part of the "original analytical framework" of economics. It isn't. Economists have been talking about people earning rents on scarce abilities for a long time--and should, if they want to explain the real world, in which innate diversity matters.

Especially since, historically, the
>analytical and scientific research on races was called eugenics....

This asserts one thing:

1. That analytical and scientific research on races was called eugenics.

Which, as I pointed out, is false. Not only is it false, it is a false position that is routinely used to try to link both modern reproductive technology and scientific research into genetic differences among humans to the Nazis and various other ideological lepers.

And it implies a second thing:

2. That the (supposed) fact 1 is a reason why economists ought not to think about genetic differences among individuals. But this is true only if thinking about innate differences is somehow equivalent to advocating coercive policies to control other people's reproduction--which is what "eugenics" in contexts like this is supposed to suggest. So I pointed out that the two are not equivalent.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law