Armchairers,

You might want to check out the extensive literature on so-called "direct
techniques" such as contingent valuation and conjoint analysis that is used
in environmental economics to elicit quantitative estimates of
willingness-to-pay for non-market, non-use goods.  Quantitative results are
generally comparable (although higher) than those obtained from "indirect"
methods such as travel cost models and they are now accepted in courts of
law.

They did, however, get a bad name in the Exxon Valdeze case, where the
products of sleepy academics suddenly took on enormous importance in terms
of dollars changing hands.

Even Solow and Arrow and Paul Portney at RFF have looked at this subject and
said the WTP (or Willingness-to-accept) estimates pass muster with the
academic community, if the estimates are cut in half.

Rodney Weiher
NOAA Chief Economist