Fabio wrote:
>Wouldn't it be easier to produce cheap cars if all models were similar
>to each other? Ie, you wouldn't need to retool for every model - just
>make some cosmetic changes and keep the cost low? I think that was the
>idea behind the Ford Escort first, then other cars like the Hyndais
>and Kia. These were all small, boxy cars designed to be cheap and amenable
>to cosmetic changes.

That makes sense for the cars all made by the same company, or which
share subcontractors.  But Toyota, Honda, Subaru, and Ford all make cars
with virtually the same shape and layout.

>Another note: isn't square and boxy a simple way to maximize space
>inside the car?

OK, but wouldn't this have always been true?

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323