Fabio Guillermo Rojas wrote:
> > pretty ignorant.  Is it only rank about people who exist, or do potential
> > people count as well?  Is it rank of money, power, or subjective utility?
>
>It doesn't have to be that complicated - how about rank among
>some small group? Like businesses trying to maximize market share
>at the expense of profits, or racial prejudice, where some employers
>might enjoy minimizing the wages of some workers, even if doing
>so has some tangible cost.

It doesn't have to be complicated, but it does have to be specific.
A business trying to maximize market share is pretty specific, though
with multiple product lines and sets of consumers there remains the
question of how to weigh these different market shares.  An employer
wanting only to minimize the wages of workers of some race is also
specific, though we have to distinguish that from them wanting to
minimize the consumption of those workers, to minimize the regard
in which those workers are held by associates, or to maximize their
mating with potential partners who these workers might compete for.

Robin Hanson  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://hanson.gmu.edu
Asst. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323