Bill notes that prior to deregulation "In flight meals were more
substantial and more frequent. Ticket lines were shorter for coach
passengers. Major airline employees were more polite. There were lots of
give always (decks of cards, airline pins, etc.) Flight attendants with
time on their hands would strike up conversations with passengers. I
don't know that anyone has tried to quantify this..."

    I bet there is something in the literature but if not quantifying
quality changes would be a nice project for a bright student.  First
place that I would look is passengers per airplane, i.e. seat room.

Alex
--
Dr. Alexander Tabarrok
Vice President and Director of Research