--- Michael Giesbrecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can economics provide any answers the the question, "what should be done
> about the problem of deadly bacteria developing resistence to
> antibiotics?"

Yes.  There is a saying, "the dosage makes the poison."  According to
biologists, per my understanding, the main problem is the overuse of
antibiotics where they are not really needed.

Economic cost-benefit analysis suggests raising the cost of bad behavior,
hence there could be a stiff tax on the purchase antibiotics.
This tax would be rebated if the user provides evidence for necessary use.
There would also have to be a large penalty for fraud.
There would be a cost in implementing this, but probably not as large as
the social cost of resistant bacteria.

> The reason I ask is it seems to be a prisoner's delimma. If
> everybody would forego the use of antibiotics, except in extreme
> circumstances, bacteria would not be able to evolve so quickly into
> antibiotic resistant strains. But I'm not everybody, I'm only me.

The dilemma goes away if there is a third party making the users pay the
social cost.

Fred Foldvary

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]