From: Alex T Tabarrok [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 9:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: income and substitution effect

   So far we have that i. and s. effects are useful to

a) teach Marshallian demand
b) teach difference between nominal and real income
c) students going on to graduate school
d) useful but for reasons that can't be remembered! :)
e)  useful as a hurdle/signal
f) not useful at the intermediate/mba level

    Regarding Marshallian demand this is true but just raises the
question what is the use of Marshallian demand at an intermediate level?
 (Note almost all textbooks discuss i. and s. effects but most do not
teach M. demand.)  As I said in my post, for welfare analysis, income
and substitution effects become important but this is not taught at the
I. level.

    I don't see how i. and s. effects teach nominal and real income but
am willing to be enlightened.

      c) is possible but it means that teaching i. and s. effects is a
waste for most students.

Surely there are enough useful things to teach that are also difficult?
 thus i. and s. effects is not needed for the hurdle.

    Thus the bulk of the posts, and a number I have received offlist,
increase in my mind the hypothesis that this material is a waste of time
(relative to other things that could be taught).

Alex

--
Alexander Tabarrok
Department of Economics, MSN 1D3