2010/1/27 Mikhail <mikhail.dozmo...@gmail.com>:
> Henrik, thank you for such a thorough answer. Now I understand how to
> create two datasets, and it did work. I'm trying to use these datasets
> for FIRMAGene analysis, as described in
> http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/firmagene/sup3.R
> file. Nowhere in this file I can see how and where the two datasets
> are defined and compared. It starts with ONE dataset reading in cs,
>
> # this assumes the CEL files are at ./rawData/tissues/HuGene-1_0-st-
> v1/
> cs<-AffymetrixCelSet$fromName("tissues",cdf=cdf,verbose=verbose)
>
> and continues through FIRMAGene.
>
> Yes, I can create two datasets, as you described. Shall they be joined
> together to process for normalization and then to FIRMAGene? I tried
>
> csM <- AffymetrixCelSet$byName("MS", tags="M", cdf=cdf)
> csS <- AffymetrixCelSet$byName("MS", tags="S", cdf=cdf)
>
> cs<-cbind(csM,csS)

Now I'm starting to understanding your question better.  You want to
keep the data sets in different directories (as solved), but join them
together into one for the analysis.  In order to do this, you can
append one set to another.  The safest/best way to do this would be to
do:

cs <- append(csM, csS);
setFullName(cs, "MS,M+S");

This will setup a set of your 3+3 CEL files with fullname "MS,M+S".
This name will be used in all downstream analysis/output data sets.
If you don't use setFullName(), the fullname will be that of the first
data set ('csM').

/Henrik