On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:02 AM, cstratowa
<christian.strat...@vie.boehringer-ingelheim.com> wrote:
> Dear Henrik,
>
> Thank you for this clarification.
>
> Since I am still using an older version of aroma.affymetrix which does
> not contain parameter 'lengthRange' I cannot specify the fragment
> length range.

Just curious, what's the reason for not updating?  It's should be a
matter of seconds.

> However, at the moment I do not see any disadvantage in
> not specifying lengthRange. When I compare the the CN ranges obtained
> with GLAD between na30 and na31 there are only slight differences due
> to the different annotations. What is your opinion?

The UGP file that contain genomic positions are probably the same.

If you are using the FragmentLengthNormalization with the na31 UFLs
provided online, I'm rather sure that you do need to set 'lengthRange'
otherwise you'll get an "identifiability" error, cf. thread 'CRMA v2
failed at FragmentLengthNormalization for Mouse diversity array'
started on 2011-01-13:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/aroma-affymetrix/iRJ7Fggi0JY

Details on the fragment-lengths in na31 UFL provided online:

> cdf <- AffymetrixCdfFile$byChipType("GenomeWideSNP_6,Full");
> ufl <- getAromaUflFile(cdf);
> ufl
AromaUflFile:
Name: GenomeWideSNP_6
Tags: Full,na31,hg19,HB20110328
Full name: GenomeWideSNP_6,Full,na31,hg19,HB20110328
Pathname:
annotationData/chipTypes/GenomeWideSNP_6/GenomeWideSNP_6,Full,na31,hg19,HB20110328.ufl
File size: 7.18 MB (7526452 bytes)
RAM: 0.00 MB
Number of data rows: 1881415
File format: v1
Dimensions: 1881415x2
Column classes: integer, integer
Number of bytes per column: 2, 2
Footer: <createdOn>20110328 19:41:33 PDT</createdOn><platform>Affymetrix</platfo
rm><chipType>GenomeWideSNP_6,Full</chipType><createdBy><fullname>Henrik Bengtsso
sum>3fbe0f6e7c8a346105238a3f3d10d4ec</checksum></srcFile1><srcFile2><filename>Ge
3f59efe386ffc1af656d01be0ab035e9</checksum></srcFile2><srcFile3><filename>Genome
21fef62c71fb56bc5dda4499b70a7f</checksum></srcFile3></srcFiles>
Chip type: GenomeWideSNP_6,Full
Platform: Affymetrix

> summaryOfUnits(ufl)
                snp    cnp affxSnp other   total
enzyme1-only    577   9609       0     0   10186
enzyme2-only    502  23432       0     0   23934
both         929322 912574       0     0 1841896
missing        1545    211    3022   621    5399
total        931946 945826    3022   621 1881415

The above summary show that there are very few SNPs that exists only
fragments generated by only one of the two enzymes.  The estimator of
the fragment-length normalization model requires such SNPs.  By
filtering by length using argument 'lengthRange' more and more SNPs
will have a length value on one enzyme only.

Hope this clarifies

/Henrik