Hi,

more comments below.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Laurent Malvert <lmalv...@idbs.com> wrote:
> from: aroma-affymetrix@googlegroups.com
> [mailto:aroma-affymetrix@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Henrik Bengtsson
>> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Laurent Malvert <lmalv...@idbs.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I understand you have been in contact with Jay over the  integration
>>> of ArrayExplorer within our products, since the last time I wrote to you.
>>> He reported to me some issues with IE9, though you had informed him
>>> that the latest version (3.4.0, from what we gather) should work on most
>>> recent browsers.
>>> [...]
>>> 1) ScrollBar2d.js:45:
>>> 45:    this.marker.style.border = 'solid; black; 2px'; // invalid syntax ->
>>> Invalid Argument error
>>
>> Thanks for spotting this one.  Corrected in next release.
>
> Great. Thanks for the quick response.
>
>>> [...]
>>> 2) ArrayExplorer.js:325-328:
>>> 325:    var y = findXY(this.image2d.image).y;
>>> 326:    var dh = document.body.clientHeight;
>>> 327:    var h = (dh - y - 12) + 'px';
>>> 328:    this.image2d.container.style.height = h; // got -1 -> Invalid
>>> Argument error
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> I assume the problem is in the use of document/body.clientHeight, which
>>> may not be the best approach for all embedding scenarios.
>>
>> Not sure if it is better or not, but at least until one understand this
>> better, one could
>> throw an alert() error message if invalid values are detected; that would
>> bring up
>> the problem to the surface (and hopefully people report rather than get
>> annoyed).
>
> A console.log() might be less intrusive and enough if you support only modern
> browsers.
> The downside is that it won't be as noticeable, but more advanced users would
> surely check the logs to see why things don't work and see your message.

Makes sense; using console.log() instead.

>>> 3) ArrayExplorer.js:301-305:
>>> 301:    var y = findXY(this.image2d.image).y;
>>> 302:    var dh = document.body.clientHeight; // this is discard as the next
>>> line overwrites it
>>> 303:    var dh = window.innerHeight; // this seemed to return NaN
>>> 304:    var h = dh - y - 16;
>>> 305:    this.image2d.container.style.height = h + 'px'; // got a string
>>> starting with NaNNaN... -> Invalid Argument error
>>>
>>> Problem: Similar to the previous one. Under some circumstances here, we'll
>>> end up with an invalid value for h (not a number), which is invalid for this
>>> property's assignment.
>>> Hack/Fix: Similar, should work out what the expected outcome is. I used an
>>> hard-coded value as this as sufficient for our purposes at the moment.
>>
>> Same here.  I'm also thinking of at least doing:
>> var dh = window.innerHeight;
>> /* If NaN, try fallback solution */
>> if (isNaN(dh)) {
>>  dh = document.body.clientHeight;
>> }
>
> Jay might be able to try that if he gets the chance and tell us how it goes.
>
> A more complete solution would be something alones the lines of:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1766861/find-the-exact-height-and-width-of-the-viewport-in-a-cross-browser-way-no-proto

Adopted the viewport() function proposed there.

>> I'm certainly not on top of Javascript + DOM + cross-browser support.
>> I guess jQuery or alikes have solved these cross-browser issues.
>
> There are few libraries you could consider using from within your
> framework to alleviate this kind of issues.

If you know of any lightweight stable and de facto standard libs, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Henrik