*http://passionforcinema.com/jodhaa-akbar-god-save-the-queen-and-king/*
**
*A PLEA TO THE MAKERS OF JODHAA-AKBAR*

I feel like pulling my hair out. UTV Motion pictures and Ashutosh Gowariker-
what is wrong with you guys?

It's less than a week for the release of what is the biggest magnum opus
this year and what should be the most awaited film to hit the screen in a
long time, and yet, strangely- though not very surprisingly- there barely
seems to be any buzz at all. Other than, of course the usual yawn-inducing
controversies that almost always seem to hound historical films made in
India, any real excitement over the film really escapes even a hardcore
Gowariker fan like me.

Can't the producers see the writing on the bloody wall? Just making a good
film simply doesn't suffice- you have to first get bums on seats- period.
And I don't see the makers of *Jodhaa-Akbar *doing enough to ensure that the
theatres remain housefull atleast through the first weekend.

Today is the time of *ghor kalyug* at the box office, of aggressive
hardsell, of driving people nuts with your publicity drive to the extent
that they sing *Dard-e-Disco *(*or Saawariya*) in their sleep. To hell with
the ridiculous theory that says that 'a good film always works'- it doesn't
take a rocket scientist to know that is just politically correct crap.

I can bet that atleast half of the people who watched *Heyy Babyy* or *Om
Shanti Om* did not even like them- and that atleast 25 percent regret having
ever seen them, feeling embarrassed and wincing at the very thought that
they are the reason why Farah Khan and Sajid Khan can continue to boast
revoltingly about their cinematic achievements and why we are poorer than a
few hundred rupees.

*Jodhaa-Akbar*'s publicity campaign has been nothing short of a mess- the
completion of production and date of release getting delayed so many times
have considerably quietened the hype surrounding the film. To make matters
worse, we have a drab and poorly cut first promo, and then the music comes
into stores barely a month before the release.

Gowariker's style of filmmaking is sublime, gentle- almost flowing with the
serenity of a river- and that aspect is also reflected in the music of his
films. That is the reason why the music of both *Swades* and *Jodhaa-Akbar*,
while both magnificently created by AR Rahman did not ever really catch on,
with the exception of a few tracks (*Aahista Aahista*, that beautiful
lullaby deleted from *Swades* today lies almost tragically removed from
public memory).

So there you go- like it or not- the music is hardly going to contribute to
an opening- in sharp contrast to *Hare Krishna Hare Ram* single handedly
getting *Bhool Bhulaiyaa* that massive initial- though giving the music time
to settle and sink into the audience could have helped (Rahman's music often
takes a while to warm up to, and repeated hearing to fully appreciate).
However, Gowariker and Rahman create exquisite music together, and it can't
really be helped that it doesn't cater to the *dhinchak* massy music tastes
of the audience <http://www.indiafm.com/movies/musicreview/12618/index.html>.

What *can* still be helped is improving the quality and increasing the
quantity of the promos and other publicity. Get Hrithik and Aishwarya to get
their traps open and give non-stop interviews. Get the stars on the news,
reality shows, get promotional tie-ups, scream from rooftops- do whatever it
takes to ensure that school children may forget the dates of their board
exams but not that of the film's release.

The bottomlime is- this kind of 'graceful, dignified' publicity will not
help. To hell with grace- get your pants down and your hands dirty guys. The
composed tranquility of a film does not have to be echoed in it's publicity.

--
regards,
Vithur

A.R.RAHMAN -  MY BREATH & LIFE FORCE