Brian,

Well... I see an option here....

How about you walk the string?
If you can tell your users that every ISBN number must be on their own
line (hard return separated) then you could use a guide to loop over a
character field and "fix up" all the sub strings and at the same time
produce a nice string for use in an EXTERNAL operator for a Table
field.

The only caution I have for you is that the length of an EXTERNAL
operator is limited.(4k if memory serves) So if the list of ISBN's is
long enough, and the syntax for each value is long enough the total
string may not be possible to do in this way. However if an ISBN is 20
characters long and your field ID is 10 digits with no spaces between
the quotes (like '1234567890'="value_20_01234567890") with an OR in
there if there is another value yet to add to the list... would bring
the length per ISBN to be 38. So with a 4k limit they would need to do
a search on 106 separate ISBN numbers to break the length limit. If I
did all my math and ASB syntax right. :)

So how long of a list are we talking about?

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.