I agree with you. It seems that with ITSM 7 and the DSL, BMC has created a
hybrid 'Product Dictionary' and DSL. The DSL should only contain the
software that is actually used in the enterprise while the 'Product
Dictionary' is a list of normalized values that can be used by discovery
tools. From what I have heard this list originates from Marimba, now BMC®
Configuration Management.

The problem I have with it, is that when you load the BMC DSL, it basically
creates a bunch of Product Category entries for you and they are all

Software -> Application -> Third Party -> Product Name

If you wanted to create your own Product Category entries for software, you
have to either modify what you installed from the DSL and then never
upgrade again, since it every upgrade will overwrite your changes, or you
live with BMC's 'generic' Product Category entries for Tier 1, 2 and 3.

Rgds,

Chris